Kale Steak Caesar September 19, 2018 – Posted in: Recipes
When you’re craving a substantial meal but don’t want to leave out healthy greens, this steak-topped, creamy caesar salad is sure to keep your hunger at bay.
A cast iron grill pan is ideal for getting those perfectly charred grill marks indoors, resulting in a beautifully cooked steak that will taste like you’ve spent hours in the backyard. Meanwhile, anchovies, the most important part of an authentic caesar, are salty, umami additions that get mixed away into the soft creamy texture of the dressing. We promise you won’t be disappointed.
Kale Steak Caesar
Serves: 4 – 6
Prep Time: 20 minutesCook Time: 10 – 20 minutes
2 lbs. skirt, flap, or flank steak
4 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
3 cloves garlic, grated
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
5 anchovies, minced
1 small garlic clove, grated
2 egg yolks
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
Zest from one lemon
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
Fresh ground pepper
¾ cup olive oil (not extra-virgin)
3 Tablespoons finely grated or shaved parmesan, plus more for serving
7 oz. kale, chopped
- Place steak in large, resealable, plastic bag or large baking dish. Whisk all steak ingredients in medium bowl and pour over steak, covering all sides. Let sit in fridge at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
- For salad, place anchovies, garlic, egg yolk, lemon juice, zest, dijon, and a pinch of salt and pepper in small food processor or in container to use for immersion blender. Blend until combined and anchovies are well blended.
- While food processor is running, slowly stream in olive oil until thick and creamy.
- Stir in parmesan and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Toss kale with dressing and let sit in the fridge for at least 15 minutes to help soften the leaves.
- Remove steak from fridge. Scrape off marinade and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Heat grill pan on medium-high heat. Using a paper towel, rub with a thin layer of oil.
- Once pan is heated and oil is almost smoking, place steak on grill. (You may need to work in batches depending on the shape and size of your steaks.)
- Cook, turning frequently, until browned and cooked to desired temperature. We recommend medium for t texture, which will register at 130ºF with your meat thermometer.
- Remove from heat and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice thinly against the grain and place on top of kale caesar salad. Top with fresh ground pepper and a fine grating of parmesan.